Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Vintage inspired French shabby chic valet & a treasure chest toy box!

What a fun week this has been! I have just had creative juices a-flowin'!

I wrote a while ago about this wood trunk I bought on Craigslist several months ago. I had intended to paint it for my daughter's room. But it just wasn't playing out that way... I never could figure out what I wanted to do with it.


Then, a good friend had a baby, and mentioned that she was looking for a toy box. Serendipity! So, my Dad set to work doing some minor repairs, adding a missing piece of trim (that turned out to match the other pieces perfectly), and installing new safety hinges to prevent smashed baby fingers.

Then, I got to work. My friend did her baby's room in sea creatures and thought a treasure chest would be cute. The minute she said that, I knew this would be a fantastic project!



I used my craft paints and added some black trim to the edges, and around the hardware.
Then, I added "sand" along the bottom, starfish, seahorses, seaweed, a "Nemo," and coral around the sides. I painted some "jewels" hanging out of the top. :-)





I even found some black thumbtack-type things that I pounded into the black trim on the sides to give it that old Pirate-y look.   Fun!

Then, for the top of the chest, I painted an old-fashioned looking compass, a padlock and skeleton key, and a scroll warning all treasure hunters that, "treasure is property of Capt. Alex"




I loved this project. So budget-friendly, and a quick job, yet so personal and really a gift from my heart for a longtime friend. I hope the chest brings her little man much happiness in the years to come!!


Then, I turned my sights to a valet that we've had for years, that I bought my husband once upon a time, but now, two houses later, no longer fits in our master bathroom or bedroom. Sigh.

I had painted it a glossy white a while ago, but couldn't figure out what to do with it. Then, the inspiration struck, and I decided to turn to the Graphics Fairy site for some vintage French graphics and lettering. I distressed the piece and drew on the French flair, and it was like a whole new piece!

 I practiced my drawing on paper first.


 The Graphics Fairy also had this awesome graphic of a vintage dress form and added it.







I used calligraphy markers to do this, but I'm sure you could print out the image and mod podge it on. At any rate, if you haven't been to the Graphics Fairy, you should!

I've been loving the feeling of cranking out project after project. I wake up in the morning and can't wait to go paint!

Anyone else?

Cheers,
Anne

2 comments:

  1. Now that is one fun treasure chest. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! So nice to have you here. :-)

      Delete