I recently had a classmate from high school contact me. She was expecting her first baby, and had a rocking chair she wanted refinished. This is what it looked like when I got it. It looked like someone had previously stripped it. So it needed a good sanding before I could get started.
We decided to go for a color like Annie Sloan's Emperor's Silk. It's been a long time since I painted anything red. In fact, it had been long enough that I had somewhat forgotten (OK, really completely forgotten) how HARD red can be! I wanted to give my local Sherwin Williams a shot. So I chose SW Positive Red in their All Surface Enamel (Acrylic Latex in Satin finish).
Here's what it looked like at first. Uh Oh. Someone forgot to get a tinted primer.
One can of pink primer later (they tinted it as dark as they could - thank you to my trusty old Home Depot paint folks) things were looking better. You can see where I added the primer, on the right side. On the left, you can see how transparent the red went on. Yikes.
In order to achieve the deep, rich red in this paint, the base has to be translucent. Which means the paint is not opaque. Which means you have to keep adding coats, and adding coats, and adding coats.Which is exactly what I did.
So... 17 coats of red paint later.....
I wish I could tell you there was some other way. I can't speak to other kinds of paint (AS Chalk Paint, etc.) but for regular old latex, that is what you can expect.
LOTS of coats.
I added a coat of wax when I felt the color was even enough. And here we are.
Now, for the glamour shots.
Thank you to my client Jessica for trusting me with this piece.
And best wishes for that little one!