I don't know about you but life is moving at break-neck speed around here. Life is full. And it is good. I played some driveway basketball today with my kids and their friends, and we had such a good time. It was one of the last warm days for what will probably be a while. And if I'm being honest, I'm not a huge outdoors/sports person. But…the kids each had a friend over and we all ended up around the basketball hoop. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly was so special about it - it was just one of those moments where time seems to pause and I stood back, and heard all four kids whooping it up, laughing, and playing nicely together, two boys and two girls, third grade and kindergarten, and it struck me that they are growing up so fast but that moment was ours. I was grateful for good, kind friends for my kids, for a nice day outside, that they were safe and happy right there with me.
Maybe the magic was that I was content. That's an elusive little thing, isn't it?
So I hope you find a moment like that somewhere in your week. (It's hard, because I don't yet know how to conjure them up. I try to be good at recognizing them before they pass, though, so maybe that's a start.)
And that's a lot of rambling in what is supposed to be a furniture post.
Thanks for indulging me.
Here's what caught my eye this week - hope you find it useful or helpful in some way!
1. Outdoor furniture. If you have the room to store it, now can be a great time to get some pieces for next spring. I know, everyone has Thanksgiving and Christmas on the brain. But that means you can score some deals. This wicker set is lovely and only $40.
Leave it white, or give it some punch. Either way, your porch will thank you next summer!
2. I just love this charming little desk and hutch for $30. I was actually looking for someone who had mentioned their daughter needed a desk. I hope they got this one!
I adore the paint job on this similar piece done by Fab Rehab Creations.
3. Midcentury Modern, Danish Radio/Record Player cabinet.
This looks like the outside is in fantastic shape. I'm torn over whether I'd paint it or not. The radio inside still works, but the record player does not.
If someone was handy enough to fix the record player, I would totally leave the inside alone and just bring this into a room as a conversation piece, element of surprise, and a great way to introduce some clean lines into a space. Love it! And…wait for it… it's $25.
4. Excuse me, I have to go take a call at my telephone bench. I love these.
Totally makes me yearn for the days when telephones had actual cords and you had to go to the phone to answer it and have a conversation. Not convinced? OK, you don't have to yearn for yesteryear to see how adorable this could look in your foyer. Asking price is $35.
5. I know I already wrote last week about the dining room furniture bonanza on CL right now, but I thought this set was worth mentioning.
I just love its classic lines and elegant oval shaped table.
Gorgeous! And there's a matching china cabinet. They're asking $300 for the set. That's a lot of furniture for $300.
There you have it.
Now go forth, and get some great stuff!
As always, I do not know these sellers, and I have not seen these pieces in person. If you buy from Craigslist, use common sense, take someone with you when you pick items up, and just generally be smart and safe.
Have a great week!